Curry adds a ton of flavor to this hearty and healthy chicken salad. Delicious warm or cold this salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
For this recipe you will need:
- 2 cups wheat berries or semi-pearled farro, rinsed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Victoria Taylor’s Red Pepper Flakes to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Victoria Taylor’s Curry Seasoning
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and cut in half
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup pea pods, cut in half
- ½ cup of almonds, toasted
- 3 cups cooked chicken (shredded from 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Place wheat berries in a medium pot with enough water to cover by 1 1/2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until berries are tender and water is mostly absorbed, about 1 hour. If using semi-pearled faro follow directions on package. Drain; place in a large bowl.
Add curry stirring often, until spice is fragrant about 2 minutes.
Stir in carrots and onions, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook until onions are wilted, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar and stir until evaporated, 1–2 minutes. Add vegetable mixture to bowl with wheat berries or farro. Let cool enough that arugula will not wilt when added to the bowl.
Add chicken, arugula, parsley, pea pods and almonds to vegetable and grain mixture; toss to combine. This dish can be made ahead of time and chilled.